Transport Network Design Engineer
Seeking a Transport Design Engineer with strong, current, fiber optic network, microwave network and data traffic engineering technical skills to help build our 5G network.
The Transport Design Engineer will be responsible for performing highly complex engineering activities supporting the design, development, and optimization of a wireless network. Transport engineering activities will include backhaul, midhaul and fronthaul, for both lit and dark fiber services as well as microwave per specified design rules and topology guidelines. This role is a key, strategic part of our business and presents an opportunity to implement and optimize the latest networking solutions. This role reports to the Transport Manager, and may require some travel
- Support transport/ traffic portions of network projects such as cell build program, frequency carrier add growth, hardware conversions, fiber to cell initiatives, datacenters, E911, and IP based technologies.
- Perform network integration for transport nodes, cell site routers, and microwave radio devices across multi-vendor platforms.
- Work with management on direction for upcoming transport design programs.
- Deployment of fiber Ethernet to cell site locations.
- Responsible for assembling site specific source data to auto-generate backhaul network device.
- Recommend network improvements to the local RF and IP network engineering teams.
- Actively contribute to improvements and participate in innovation, lessons learned, and knowledge sharing activities.
- Ensure that work meets all applicable engineering, financial, planning, and operational standards.
- Negotiate with LEC, IXC and CAP carriers for service.
- 10+ years Wireless Network experience
- Must have a strong understanding of wireless network architecture, infrastructure components, Ethernet, fiber optic transport and data traffic engineering.
- Ability to write technical specifications for Dark and Ethernet fiber requirements for procurement
- Experience with pathing, hot cuts, trunking, and migrations.
- Ability to manage multiple commitments simultaneously
- Excellent communication and follow-up skills a must.
- Ability to plan for work during network maintenance windows and the willingness to perform night work.
- Proven ability to work independently and escalate issues appropriately.
- Ability to delivery in fast-paced high-volume environment supporting aggressive targets.
- Experience drawing complex system diagrams.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
- Advanced degree is preferred.
Other Skills & Abilities
- PathLoss 5 and Google Earth experience.
- Planet design experience beneficial