Optical Transport Data Interconnect Engineer
Seeking a Transport Data Interconnect Engineer with a deep understanding of how the Internet works on a global and local basis. Position requires a solid understanding and experience with DNS, IP addressing, BGP, etc. to support efficient, low latency processing of all Networks mobile data traffic. Traffic is expected to grow as the new 5G national network is built and candidate should have the ability to define and specified a range of connectivity options based on changing traffic. Candidate will help write requirements for an RFP to screen ISPs for their ability to interconnect data traffic and later to manage the peering and other interconnect partners. Candidate should have familiarity to network operators and other service provider networks and processes including Local Exchange Carriers (LEC), Tier 1 ISPs and specialized carriers.
The Transport Data Interconnect Engineer will be responsible for evaluating and performing detailed engineering activities supporting the design, development, and optimization of the data interconnection in a wireless network. This person may also be responsible for specifying equipment, APIs, virtual resources, etc. to create world class data services for customers.
This role is a key, strategic part of our business and presents an opportunity to implement and optimize the latest networking solutions.
- Experience working with Internet Exchange Points (IPX) and Tier 1 telco hotels/data centers.
- Define data interconnection requirements including APIs, transport interfaces and other interconnections.
- Develop peering, IP transit and other interconnection requirements for the 5G network.
- Manage data traffic flows and recommend network changes as traffic profiles change.
- Define and later support the implementation of peering agreements and interconnection.
- Understanding of traffic engineering, Internet access services and Ethernet services.
- System architecture including reliability, security and redundancy requirements.
- Working knowledge of various applicable standards and frameworks: IETF, MEF, etc.
- Actively contribute to improvements and participate in innovation, lessons learned, and knowledge sharing activities.
- Ability to define and manage performance with SLAs and KPIs.
- Ensure that work meets all applicable engineering, financial, planning, and operational standards.
- 8+ years Internet / Telecommunications Network experience.
- Working knowledge of DNS and BGP.
- Working knowledge of virtualization and software defined networking.
- Must have a strong understanding of O-RAN and other 5G architectures.
- Familiarity with optical networking and interfaces.
- Extensive work with data centers and familiarity with virtualized environments such as Amazon Web Services (AWS).
- Analyzing new network requirements, deployments, augmentations, bandwidth upgrades and software upgrades.
- Ability to write detailed technical specifications.
- Ability to manage multiple commitments simultaneously.
- Excellent communication and follow-up skills.
- Proven ability to work independently and escalate issues appropriately.
- Ability to delivery in fast-paced high-volume environment supporting aggressive targets.
- Bachelor’s Degree; advanced degree preferred.